The "Fretwork Experiment'


It is not in my nature to do things the easy way and such is the case with our staircase restoration project. Conventional wisdom is that I should just find a simple newel post and install it and be done. But not me, no, I have to take simple solutions and make them complex, much like the Victorians


I was going though my massive collection of "stuff" and found a I have a perfectly good interior interior fluted column from a previous restoration.


So the new "plan' is to use this column instead of a newel. Not to be outdone by that of course we are going to do two fretwork screens across the top of the stair hall opening. Now it would of course be impossible to find original fretwork in a size that would work and would be cost prohibited.

Which is why I made my trip to the craft and woodworking supply store last night and bought bags and bags of dowels and wooden balls.....Yes I am going to build my own fretwork spandrels for the Knox street project. Basically, this allows me to custom build something along the lines of an original design element and my "hope" is, once its stained to match the column and trim it will be undetectable as not being "original' to the house.
In some upcoming blogposts we will "follow' the process of the building of these fretwork screens. Although it sounds daunting , It really shouldn't be that difficult to execute, just a little time consuming!

Share on :
The "Fretwork Experiment'
The "Fretwork Experiment'
Reviewed by citra
Published :
Rating : 4.5